Friday, April 22, 2011

Not Cricket to Picket

It can be nothing but a height of overconfidence that the initial name of this post was "Why we HAD to win". I wanted to write BEFORE the semi final (then it was "why we need to win") but was so nervous that I thought I'll get to it after we get into the finals. I'm writing post world cup now but, you know. India. Four years. This is exactly why I'm not into planning, MOM! Oh well. *Sigh*.

I have been asking around, trying to recall if it was always like this and asking parents for the times I can’t recall. Those green T shirts selling like hot jalebis (totally beats hot cakes I swear), a demand supply deficit of multimedia ensembles, totally unrecognisable faces under the green and white paint, social networking sites totally drowned in green and minute by minute reports (guilty as charged :P), people with flags and busted vocal cords on the roads, in markets and at restaurants. The biggest surprise was the preparations and celebrations of those outside the country. No one's challenging patriotism here but yes, parading streets of Toronto, London and New York with life size flags at timings as insane as 5 and 2 A.M means there was seriously something else going on this time.

We wanted this badly! We wanted this SO bad that it was almost funny. Funnier was the fact that we all totally believed that we'd get it this time even after the match-fixing trio got busted and surrounding teams were flexing muscles at our faces. Hope. We live on it. I remember saying that this was easily the ONLY thing left for us Pakistanis to look forward to since Uncle Zardari is going to be here a while, no one can stop the constant siphoning of the State's funds, the target killers are doing what they do best, America pawns us down with our own law and flies Raymond ******* ******* ****** (i permit you to use your imagination!) away and all other horrors Hamid Mir talks about. It’s funny how we are part of one tree but are totally 'branched' when it comes to beliefs, religions, modernism and of course Eid-ul-fitr. Cricket I salute you man. It’s like one of the moments in movies when the male and female leads realise they finally have something in common.

So yeah, for the past many weeks cricket became the ultimate “binder”. It was never like this before, not even when we actually WON the thing. If we’d actually won the world would have exploded, seriously. I also thought, if we LOSE the world would explode too. Imagine my pleasant disappointment. Everyone was so, I dunno….forgiving. Using text messages to ask Afridi to take back his apology, being totally content with having a “good” game and welcoming the team back with open arms. Is it me or are we severely bipolar? Don’t kill me all but I for one don’t think across those optimistic lines. I need answers. Maybe it’s because I’m not one the last minute cricket fans. Cricket has been there all along thanks to friends who used to call in sick on school days to watch matches and cousins with whom we had proper tournaments, every kid chose a “cricketer” second name and every family residence was named after a famous cricket stadium. Ours was the “Old Trafford” by the way.

I’m really not hard to please but there are some things I don’t get and I will criticise. And you know why, so it doesn’t happen again. So we all know Misbah just stood there rooted to the ground and Younis Khan’s usually spot-on fielding sucked. But I personally thing Afridi could have been more responsible than just doing one of his usual slog routines, messing up power play and giving the ball to Umar Gul when he was a clear flop that day. Don’t get me wrong, Afridi did great. He brought the whole “jazba” concept to life. He united us in a way we never imagined. The team was pretty awesome against the biggest names in cricket but it was the match of the decade that messed it all up. Let me just say, it was SO in the bag. We totally had it but we let it slip through our fingers. When THAT happens you don’t just suffice with the fact that “oh well we got to the semis. We are SO proud!”. You think “where did we go wrong, let’s find out and FIX it!”.

The thing is we are one emotional nation. And sometimes (read every time) we let our emotions get the best of us. Yes, I say best because this will be yet another compromise. This time it was OUR time. I don’t know about you guys but four years is an awful lot of time. My family knows I say “Oh I’ll be ANCIENT next World Cup” and every time the time comes I realise I’m not that ancient after all. But really next time, I’ll BE ancient. Let me say it this time around too. I have no idea how 27 year olds enjoy cricket and scream their vocal cords off. I will find out in about 4 years I guess.

Anyway, as Talha pointed out in his cricket post, let’s not just reserve the unified version of us for Cricket alone. We are in deep you-know-what and if we had hearts the size of radioactive cotton candy for bat ball (that’s what we used to call it 15 years ago) then we should not deflate just now. Why do I end up saying such stuff, this was about sports for God’s sake! I need to get meself a political following. Anyway, I just realized I’m wearing totally Indian colours and writing about Pakistan. I think I’ll go drown myself in the exotic swimming pool up front.


Until next time, IF I manage to stay afloat, (which I’m very capable off fyi),
Sara (currently emotional) Q


P.S : The post title upstairs is actually a real song title :P





9 comments:

  1. Well, I for one love the post. Not just saying that cuz I'm the co-author. The patriotism at that point in time was astounding. Everyone was as green as the flag. When I first saw the crowd, I was confused. If everyone hadn't been holding cellphones (and the ladies dressing a tad on the risky side) I would've thought that we were back in 1947 and Quaid-e-Azam just finished some awesome motivational speech. People were THAT patriotic. Fast forward to post-Misbah times, DEPRESSION.

    We as a nation are way too emotional. We could have won the world cup. We let too many things slide because this and we also overdo too many things because of it. The fact is, it's not losing that hurts, it knowing that we had it in us to go all the way and knowing that it was the same stupid mistakes that we always make. The team needs a lot of work now if people want something to cheer about in the next world cup. Like you said, we need to fix it.

    As for being ancient, as someone who knows a thing or two about you, I'm sure you'll still have the heart of a 20 year old till then. Probably after that too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha enjoyed this!!! BUT WHAT! we'll be 27 next time round!! ughh now THAT IS ANCIENT! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well well well.....not the dreaded semi final....but now that you have rekindled that flame, I cannot keep my emotions bottled up.

    Ever since that day I had vowed to myself that I wouldn’t discuss it with another soul (believe me, I’m the sort of person who discusses each and every minute detail of any cricket match, be it Canada v Netherland). As a friend put it “lets just assume it never happened”.

    But now that you have brought it up….I must vent all the stuff that is bubbling inside me.
    Fortunately or unfortunately, the ‘media’ in our country has taken over. It is as if the people don’t have minds capable of making their own decisions. All the hype relating to this match was created by the media. And I agree with you… people went bananas. I was pleasantly surprised to see the crowd united as a nation with all the green bacchanalia.

    The match, well I wouldn’t say that it was ‘fixed’, was absolutely in the bag. You are right again; it did slip out of our pockets. If only we had allowed Sachin 15 more runs….. (The 85 he made were courtesy of technology and dropped catches).

    Apart from that, Umer Gul, our main weapon, misfired…our fielding was nothing short of pathetic, batting…..well just leave that out or else you guys would have to sensor out my reply (which obviously no one wants). I kinda feel for Misbah. He did exactly what he was selected to do…stay at the crease. I don’t know why the people were sending texts after the match blaming him.

    As I mentioned earlier that we are a media driven society...It was the media that calmed things down and the reaction to a defeat at the hands of Hindustanis was, how should I say it, well not a reaction at all. Hell yeah I also demand answers……why the hell was Younus included in the first place??

    Another thing that I liked in the post was naming of family residences as cricket stadiums…..brings back childhood memories (mine was Qaddafi Stadium).

    Sorry I am getting carried away….but there is still so much to say….well I think I should stop. Gracias for writing about something so close to our hearts……

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks sweets :)
    yes ma dear, the math is THAT simple. But when i was 19, 23 seemed lame too but i have never enjoyed, laughed and prayed this much in any of the previous ones. I guess talha's right about the age factor. We'll be fine. Still screaming in our pitchy tuneless voices and flooding facebook! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I still maintain, there was NO world cup this year. I just never happened. Everyone just forgot about it. Pakistan lose to India? India win the world cup? LOL. Now thats a joke if I ever heard one :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now now talha, best to just admit what happened. that way the pain goes. Ultimately. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. As they say in french, mon pleaseure monsieur! From what little bit I've heard I gathered you are a big cricket fan and seeing you had a stadium naming thing going i am even more sure. It also shows me and my cousins were probably sane lol.

    yes i have no idea why but we thought we had this. Talha is right, we let it slip.
    The thing is, we all have a view on why we lost and whose fault it was. I say misbah because yes he stood rooted on the crease but that's all he did. Someone as experienced as him should have known better, should have known the difference b/w defense and offense. I guess THAT explains the onslaught of insults for him.

    I guess it is something that needed venting out which is why i wrote this even, yes its late but i started almost the same night. And you're right about the media, they pumped us up and made us mad, not that we didnt want to get mad. I mean that's all we had right?

    anyway thanks a bunch for a reply twice the size of mine and yes, that's something. It shows how much time you took out to first read and manage to type something you're so emotional about. The response has already made me rack my brains for the next piece. :)

    P.S: Start a topic if u wish. If there's one thing we have in excess, its people willing to talk about cricket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well....
    A very true and well written article...

    I hated that message which said afridi to take back his apology...and its so easy to let thing in your bag slip and then say i am sorry....


    I don't play cricket but when it comes to India and Pakistan, its like life and death....

    No comments after all that has been said by you guys.... The very thought of that match is very depressing and very emotional...... So no comments.....

    It was nice to know that you people named your residences after cricket stadiums.....

    ReplyDelete