Friday, January 1, 2010

The year that was...

Like every other, the year 2009 started off with the usual resolutions. I’m not a very resolutions person but I probably say that because I’m usually unsuccessful in fulfilling them. Take weight loss as an example. One out of two people resolve to lose weight in the coming year. It’s more of a tradition actually. Half way through the first week of January we realize that either we’re perfect just the way we are or we’ll make a fresh start right after the wedding season comes to an end. (I don’t think elaboration is necessary on what happens next).

The start of the year was the official post exam recovery period. Free to sleep, laze around, and hang out with friends with no fear of studies or revising. Throw in a few everyday chores which are irritating at first thanks to the preceding royal exam candidate treatment but grow on you eventually. (Chauffeuring services included). Sitting under a bright Sunday sun and feasting on oranges; all the while catching wireless internet signals of the entire neighbourhood. January, the way I spend it is quite enviable.

It was a nice February morning (result day actually but I passed, thus a ‘nice’ morning) when I got a call from my college ACE. The Course Coordinator on the phone asked (‘told’ me rather) me if I could lend my time to give a presentation which was to consist of a general introduction to ACCA life and the Institution in general to various schools all over Islamabad. I was being asked to look teenagers in the eyes and convince them rather than rattling on with a typical inspirational speech. My mind immediately yelled “NO WAY” but my vocal cords suddenly got a life of their own and I heard myself say “OK, sure”.

My mom thoroughly encouraged by reminding me of my previous successful moments under the spotlight, all the while saying that I could definitely nail this one. Moms are great aren’t they? So I thought what the heck, let’s give it a shot.What followed were interesting rehearsals, constructive criticisms and well a couple of embarrassing moments.

We were to address an audience of teenagers where the guys’ hairdos were so spiky they could scour any surface known or unknown to man while the girls were heavily influenced by gothic makeovers. (Not that I have anything against that, just not suitable for school you know. At least wasn’t in our time :P)

I was first on the lineup. The stage was ridiculously high and ‘the’ walk was excruciatingly long. I took a deep breath and started off. I made sure I looked each kid in the eye. My hands were shaky but my voice steady.Overall it was quite a successful presentation for a bunch of first-timers. And the kids were pretty cool too. A few stayed back for career advice and we, students ourselves felt very important and professional all of a sudden.

Presentations were a norm after that. We got polished as we went along, to the extent that it seemed like a pinch of salt a few months later. Why I’m mentioning these scenarios is because my year was very much populated by them. The whole activity used to be fun overall and the triumph and relief after was simply priceless.

I had a similar feeling when I was offered to teach a revision class. I knew a lot of students personally but there were still a couple of notorious ones nobody was happy to teach. I guess it was because I was forewarned that I didn’t find them too bad. I had an informal touch so it was always an entertaining and friendly environment. Teaching is one of those things I’d always wanted a try at and I’m happy I got it.

End of March 2009 came the day that my grandmother passed away. It was completely unexpected. There was no illness, no taking to the hospital and no revival. My Dadi (grandmother in Urdu) was in Toronto at the time. According to my cousin she simply had a spasm when coming up the stairs and was gone within seconds. Cardiac arrest they said. She always prayed to God to take her as she was; no pain, no illness and no dependency. And that’s how God took her, just minutes after she’d finished cooking an undeniably delicious meal for my cousins.

It’s strange how things turn out. Whenever my dadi left she’d say long goodbyes, also that she might not ever see us again. We always laughed it off, telling her not to worry so soon. This time was no different because none of us knew something like this could ever happen in the coming fortnight. This was my first actual loss of a loved one. (As a grownup that is). And I know exactly how it feels now. This whole situation made me realize how we can’t even predict what will happen in the next minute.

The couple of months that followed are a bit hazy because of the mourning and the onslaught of people coming to pay their respects. It sort of made me proud that my grandma was known and respected by so many people. A bit on the lighter side, my mom thinks I’ve inherited her social skills and voicing of opinions.

The middle is always prep leaves, exams and vacations that follow. However this time included playing desperate housewife while my parents were away for a couple of weeks. Not a very pleasant task I’d say. I’m glad my result in August brought a bit of sunshine to the summer.

As we come closer to the last quadrant, it’s basically the usual. Start of classes, Eid, in this heat! And yes getting ambushed by guests, both wanted and unwanted for a definite as well as indefinite amount of time. Life is hard as it is without having to act civil and disciplined all the time. Not to mention looking decent 24/7 and strict abolishment of sibling rivalry. It was these days that I stayed in college much longer than I was supposed too.

My mom’s favourite uncle, who was very much like a grandfather to us passed away in October. It was exactly like the scenario in March. A lot of people I know didn’t make it to 2010.

Last two months are always terrible. Firstly I’m not a winter person at all. And then exams. Staying warm while resisting the urge to sleep anywhere and everywhere is a tedious task. Not to mention these subjects sucked the life out of me. I think I’m still going through a recovery period. Talha here is one of those who witnessed my level of sanity; or lack of it.

Technically I should be giving a thorough thought to my next step in career making but currently delaying it till the result because I’m quite sure of a screw up in one exam.

This year had its ups and downs. I can’t even remember any resolutions, if I had any that is. There are a couple of things I regret doing and I learned the hard way that it’s best to keep shut and not act social worker/arbitrator/opinion giver all the time. My mom says it’s a very effective way of avoiding high blood pressure and hey, I need that. Family health history you see.

On the flip side I think I’m more sure of myself and what I want. I’ve come to terms with my strengths and tend to make them stronger. I’m also more aware of my faults now and have a rough plan to cater to them. I made new friends and got in contact with long lost old ones. The latter I’m very proud of because you have no idea how much effort it can take.

How can I forget? I took off part of the exam wrath on getting a rebellious haircut. But hair talk is for some other time because I can go on and on about hair, hair care and hair damaging products.

Still blank on the resolutions but have complete hope and faith for the year to come. And I’m going to quote my co-author here: 2009 was the year two very cool people started a very cool blog :). To conclude I think I’m going to quote my facebook status here:

For me 2009 had its highs and lows...for the country and its people, one of the worst years ever I’d say. Let's all pray and hope 2010 turns out to be one of the best in history. May God rid us of all these calamities. Happy new year everyone! Lets all make it one :)”

P.S: Talha A. B, I think I’ve broken all previous records with this one :D

No comments:

Post a Comment